About the Organization:
Cause of Action, a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that uses investigative, legal, and communications tools to educate the public on how government accountability and transparency protects taxpayer interests and economic opportunity is looking for a Senior-level litigator.
Cause of Action addresses key threats to economic freedom through “sunshine advocacy” in the form of information requests under the Freedom of Information Act, regulatory comments and strategic, direct litigation. Cause of Action’s boutique-sized staff and expertise in investigative advocacy enables it to offer premier legal services to individuals and organizations of all sizes in local and national matters.
We offer innovative and challenging work, a friendly environment and excellent benefits. We are looking for individuals with diverse backgrounds and experience to complement our strengths and become part of our exciting future. We are currently hiring for a Senior Oversight Counsel.
- Supervise and train staff regarding investigative research and strategic litigation practices in federal courts.
- Litigate matters under the False Claims Act (FCA), Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA), Administrative Procedures Act (APA), Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), Competition in Contracting Act (CICA), and Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
- Develop litigation strategies to fight cronyism, constitutional overreach, and expose waste, fraud, and mismanagement.
- Engage in client and strategy development, case management, staff supervision and training.
- Serve as lead trial and appellate counsel for oversight matters.
- Represent clients in court or before government agencies.
- At least 7 years of oversight and investigative legal experience, including complex federal trial and appellate litigation under the FCA, FTCA, APA, FAR, CICA, and FOIA.
- Lead counsel experience in an AmLaw 250 law firm, Congressional or Executive branch counsel experience, experience as an AUSA, or experience in the Criminal Division or Civil Fraud Division of the U.S. Department of Justice is required.
- First or second-chair trial practice, lead in taking depositions, and federal court practice isrequired.
- Trial-level judicial clerkship and/or lead counsel in at least 2 federal trials is required.
- High academic credentials (top 25 law school, top 1/3 academic standing, law journal service, national moot court team, national trial team, clinical experience, and publication of note or comment preferred).
- Must be admitted to the District of Columbia bar.
- Must be admitted to the federal district court for the District of Columbia.
- Must be admitted to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit.
If interested, please submit a cover letter along with your application explaining your interest. Click here to apply.