The Competitive Enterprise Institute seeks a Staff Accountant to perform a variety of general accounting, human resources, and office management duties. Qualified candidates will have the experience and enthusiasm to work with CEI’s Director of Finance and Operations and other members of the CEI staff to conduct various financial transactions, keep financial records, prepare financial reports, maintain employment records and employee benefit plans, and help in basic office management.
CEI is a non-profit public policy organization dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government, free enterprise, and individual liberty. Our mission is to promote both freedom and fairness by making good policy good politics. And we pride ourselves on being both a feisty and aggressive advocacy organization and fun place to work.
The Staff Accountant will be part of a three-person administrative and human resources team.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Accounts payable and receivable functions including signatures, coding, data entry, etc.
- Monthly reconciliation of accounts, month-end and year-end close outs, prep of financial statements and other necessary reports
- Payroll, tracking of vacation and sick time, management of employee benefits
- Maintenance of all electronic and hard-copy vendor files
- Assistance with yearly audit including although not limited to gathering supporting documentation, preparing schedules, and all other year end audit related duties as necessary
- Set up of new employees and interns and maintenance of their personnel files
- Some oversight and training of front desk personnel
- General operations support including calls for repairs and supplies, help with annual fundraising dinner, prep for board meetings, development of policies and procedures, etc
Ideal candidates will possess strong accounting skills and the following:
- A BS in Accounting with a minimum of 3+ years of experience in non-profit accounting
- Strong organizational and computer skills
- An ability to analyze information and summarize relevant data in a concise manner
- An ability to manage time effectively and prioritize to meet deadlines
- An ability to work alone but also communicate and work with others as needed
- Excellent references
CEI offers a competitive salary, health benefits, a cafeteria plan, vacation and sick time and ten paid holidays a year. We’re located in downtown DC near 3 metro stations.
Send a cover letter and resume to Megan McLaughlin, Sr. Director, Finance and Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org.