The Illinois Policy Institute seeks a Health Care Policy Director with excellent communication skills to inspire changes in hearts, minds and laws that will improve outcomes in Illinois.
Most of the talk of health care “reform” involves an expansion of government bureaucracies and state-run health care. Free market health care solutions are often buried in the media and ignored by politicians dashing towards “universal” health care.
The Illinois Policy Institute serves as a leading voice for liberty, answering those who advocate state-run health care with affirmative alternatives that are market-based and solve the real problems at hand.
The ideal Health Care Policy Director candidate embraces the notion that real health care reform lies within the free market system, not within the government Leviathan. The ideal candidate will work tirelessly to develop health care policy solutions that embrace choice and competition, putting the individual in charge of his or her own health care.
The ideal candidate will not be content with a career based solely in the theoretical; rather, he/she will revel in solving real-world problems. The ideal candidate will have a passion for communicating how free market principles can change lives.
The Health Care Policy Director will report to Vice President of Policy Ted Dabrowski. The position can be located in Chicago or Springfield. The position will include occasional travel, primarily across Illinois.
Key job responsibilities will include:
- Researching, analyzing and writing policy studies, issue briefs and commentaries on current, significant policy issues
- Utilizing quantitative analysis to calculate effects of policy and recommend solutions
- Reading, comprehending and translating complex legislation
- Developing an expertise of health care and health insurance issues in Illinois
- Monitoring state and federal legislation, as well as local initiatives
- Tracking reform in other states that may inform Illinois’ reform efforts
- Taking ideas, data and principles and turning them into compelling stories
- Making media appearances, including radio, television and print
- Making presentations and engaging in public speaking, as well as debating those with opposing views
- Educating lawmakers and influencers on key health care policy issues, promoting policies that increase individual liberty while countering those that boost government control
The ideal candidate for the Health Care Policy Director role will possess the following attributes:
- Three-plus years of experience in business field, academia, public policy arena or nonprofit setting
- In-depth experience with health care issues/policy
- Knowledge of a variety of health care-related issues, including ObamaCare, Medicaid, Medicare, etc.
- Knowledge of the current system and free market alternatives that will improve the status quo
- Firm grounding in free market economics
- Superb storytelling, communication and debate skills
- Strong analytical and research skills
- Desire to work collaboratively with Illinois Policy Institute staff
- Strong project management skills and ability to multitask, set priorities and follow through
- A sincere dedication to making Illinois a better place to live and work
- Strong commitment to the principles of personal responsibility and free enterprise
- An advanced degree in public policy, economics or related field preferred
- Media experience a major plus but not required
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials:
- Cover letter detailing: salary requirements and your interest in the mission of the Illinois Policy Institute
- Writing sample that demonstrates your ability to communicate complex concepts to a lay audience in a compelling fashion (preferably on a topic related to health care issues)
- Links to media appearances, if applicable
Materials should be emailed to Claire Kittle, executive director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls please.
About the Illinois Policy Institute
The Illinois Policy Institute’s vision is to make Illinois first in economic outlook and job creation and to become a free enterprise leader for the rest of America. The Institute inspires changes in hearts, minds and laws through its mission to promote personal freedom and prosperity in Illinois and America. As a leading independent research and education organization, it generates positive and sustainable policy solutions for citizens and lawmakers that help unleash talent and entrepreneurial ability.