The Lucy Burns Institute (LBI) is a nonprofit organization headquartered in Madison, Wisconsin. LBI is an entrepreneurial, mission-driven organization that encourages innovation and provides substantial opportunity for professional and personal growth.
To assist the External Relations Department with promoting LBI to donors and the media.
The External Relations Manager is a full-time salaried position at the Lucy Burns Institute. This is a remote position. All salaried staff members are required to work a standard office schedule and travel at least once a year for meetings.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
There are three core responsibilities for this position:
- The first is social media and user engagement. The External Relations Manager will be charged with developing and executing a comprehensive social media strategy for both Ballotpedia and Judgepedia. The External Relations Manager will also be the primary point of content for volunteer editors on both wikis.
- The second core function of this role is media outreach. The External Relations Manager will create press releases and informational email newsletters, track and report LBI’s media mentions and impact, and create and maintain a tailored press list through which LBI will engage in targeted media outreach.
- The third core function is fundraising communication. The External Relations Manager will create and send email solicitations; plan, execute, and track online fundraising campaigns; use the database to create recipient lists; assist with the creation of collateral materials for the fundraising department; and oversee copy and content on lucyburns.org, including near-daily updates to the content on the site.
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excitement about and commitment to LBI’s mission of connecting people to politics
- Excellent time management skills, including the ability to effectively prioritize competing demands
- Steadfast ability to adhere to deadlines
- Strong self-motivation, as well as the ability to collaborate with others via a remote setting
- Team player mentality; including adaptability and a positive attitude
- Excellent communication skills across a variety of platforms
- Keen sense of audience when communicating across constituencies (donors, volunteers, journalists, etc.)
- Strong writing skills and editorial flair
- Experience working with a database (we use DonorPerfect)
- Experience creating and sending mass emails (we use Constant Contact)
- Experience with Skype, GoToMeeting, Google Products, and Vocus
This is a remote position. In order to join our staff, you must have access to a computer with regular (standard/unwavering) Internet access. Successful remote employees excel at certain skills. If you’ve never worked in a remote position, please consider this self-assessment before applying: http://www.westchestergov.com/hr/adobe/TeleworkerSelfAssessmentSurvey.pdf
Compensation for this position is in the $30,000-$40,000 range, depending on experience, with opportunities for bonuses based on performance. Health benefits are included in the compensation package.
To apply, email Maggie Woodlief at email@example.com. Please attach your resume to that email, including:
- two professional references
- cover letter detailing: a) your sincere interest in this position and the mission of the organization, and b) your salary requirements
LBI is only able to respond to candidates to whom we are able to offer an interview. No phone calls, please. We appreciate your understanding and thank you for your interest in our organization.