Director of Development
Los Angeles, CA/Virtual Office
“In a world… where freedom’s back is against the wall, thrashed by a hostile culture, while its supporters are too busy with arcane policy debates to focus on the only tool that can make difference — the imagination. Meanwhile, one lone nonprofit, Taliesin Nexus, leads a ragtag team of passionate filmmakers as they strive to make their voices heard….”
While that movie trailer doesn’t exactly describe the day-to-day at Taliesin Nexus, it does convey our conviction that we must invest in and support filmmakers who share our passion for a free society. By joining our small but plucky team, you can help us get closer to that blockbuster vision.
Opening for a Director of Development
Taliesin Nexus, a 501(c)(3) educational nonprofit, is hiring a full-time Director of Development. We are based in Los Angeles but the position will be virtual, with travel constituting about 20-25% of your time. The Director will work from a home office and may be based anywhere in the continental United States. The ideal candidate will have three or more years experience working in non-profit development, finance or sales. He or she will have contacts and experience raising funds from foundations and high-net-worth individuals. Of (nearly) equal importance is a passion for, and knowledge of, film and television. Yes, this is the one job where binge-watching House of Cards is homework.
We are looking for someone who is entrepreneurial and creative, but capable of rolling up their sleeves and grinding that millstone every day if necessary. While we will provide guidance and aid, we want someone who can self-motivate, build his or her own action plan and work independently, completing tasks on time without constant supervision or hand-holding. Ambition is welcome, too — a great director of development who really proves him- or herself will have unlimited growth potential.
Since the job is remote, there is no dress code, but we will feel a little more comfortable Skyping if we know you are not sporting a business suit and choking off your creativity with a tie. Ours (as is Hollywood’s) is a T-shirt, jeans and flip-flops culture.
About Taliesin Nexus
Founded in 2008 and approved as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit in 2010, TN’s mission is to identify, educate and connect talented young filmmakers and other media creators who share a belief in the values of individual liberty, free markets and a free society.
TN is a small start-up operation but fast-growing, more than tripling its resources in the last two years, with a small but hard-working and dedicated staff punching way above its weight class in terms of impact and program growth.
Through our workshops, internships, creative labs and other activities, we support talented young filmmakers as they pursue their careers in the entertainment industry, connecting them to one another and helping them to realize their creative visions.
We have cultivated a brilliant, diverse faculty of more than 70 well-established screenwriters, producers, directors and studio executives whose credits include movies such as Braveheart, American Pie, Elf, Noah, The Wedding Crashers, Liar Liar, Atlas Shrugged, and the new Godzilla (2014), and TV shows such as 30 Rock, Firefly, That ‘70s Show, According to Jim, The Simpsons, South Park, Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD and The Blacklist. One of our workshop alumni, Rich Middlemas, went on to win the 2012 Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature.
- Head up all development activities
- Be a creative member of the executive team, help us to generate ideas for new programs and our overall growth strategy
- Design a donor outreach strategy for current and prospective donors, including high-net-worth individuals, foundations and general support.
- Connect directly with current and prospective donors through in-person meetings, email, snail mail, and phone calls
- Represent Taliesin Nexus at donor-related events, conferences, and networking events
- Attend some of our program events to better understand our programs and alumni
- Perform donor research, including identifying prospective donors and foundations
- Call donors to update them on our success and to schedule meetings
- Availability and willingness to travel approximately 20-25% of the time
- Update and maintain a donor database
- Work with list brokers and other organizations to secure mailing lists for prospect mailings
- Develop and implement a direct-mail strategy
- Committed to the values of individual liberty, free markets, and free speech
- Passionate about and familiar with film, TV and popular culture
- Two or more years of experience with fundraising and/or corporate development, or other applicable experience
- A talented writer with superb communications skills on the page and phone
- A charming extrovert who’s good in a room
- Ruthlessly ambitious and slightly over-confident
- Wanting to lead the organization within a few years
- Don Draper (“Mad Men”) meets Olivia Pope (“Scandal”)
- Able to work independently and without constant supervision, a self-starter
- If you don’t have the requisite years of on-point work experience but you have relevant experience, and you are very passionate about our mission, you should apply anyway
Compensation: Compensation will be commensurate with experience and potential. We will offer performance bonuses in addition a healthy base salary.
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file:
- Cover letter expressing your passion for this position and our mission, your professional goals, how your background aligns with our needs, and your compensation bottom line
- Two references (you can append this to the cover letter)
- List of your favorite three movies and three TV shows (you can append this to the cover letter)
Materials should be emailed to Claire Dixon, executive director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com. All materials should be sent in one PDF file with your name in the file name.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.