Reason has internship opportunities year-round in both the Los Angeles and Washington, D.C. offices. Internships are offered in policy research, journalism,video production and fundraising. Previous interns have gone on to work at such places as The Wall Street Journal, Forbes, ABC News, Students for Liberty, and Reason itself.
Internships run ten weeks full-time and include a stipend; part-time internships can be negotiated. Start and end dates are flexible. The application deadlines for all Reason internships are:
- Summer internships begin in June, application deadline March 26
- Fall Internships begin in September, application deadline August 20
- Spring Internships begin in January, application deadline November 13
To apply, send the following elements in a single pdf file to email@example.com. Specify in the subject line which division of Reason you would like to intern for (journalism, public policy, video production, or fundraising).
- A cover letter that describes
- Why you want to work for Reason
- Your preferred location and division
- Writing or work samples. All applicants should send at least two writing samples. Applicants for a journalism internship should send up to five clips, preferably published. Applicants for video production internships should send links to work samples if possible.
Reason’s internship programs, along with all of our activities, are made possible by the generous contributions of the many individuals, foundations and corporations that support Reason. In addition we have three special internship funds:
- The Burton C. Gray Memorial Internship supports Reason magazine interns in the Washington, D.C. office.
- The Bud and Roseann Mattern Internship Program supports interns in all roles at Reason.
- The B & E Collins Foundation supports interns in all roles at Reason.
Journalism internships are available year-round in the Washington, D.C. office. The job includes reporting and writing for Reason and Reason.com, and helping with research, proofreading, and other tasks. Most successful applicants have journalism experience. Applicants should include up to five (preferably published) clips with their application.
Public Policy Research
Policy internships are available in both the Los Angeles and Washington, D.C. offices, and occasionally as telecommuting arrangements. Policy interns conduct policy research, draft and edit studies, and contribute to policy outreach and communications efforts in several issue areas, including:
- Education and child welfare
- Energy and the environment
- Housing policy
- Pension reform
- California Issues (LA office)
Applicants should indicate which issue areas are of interest to them.
Reason TV – the online video journalism project of the Reason Foundation – hosts interns in the LA and DC offices of Reason. Interns provide research assistance, edit video footage, do camera work and provide marketing support. Experience in video production is desired; applicants should provide links to work samples where possible.
Internships with Reason’s fundraising team are available in both LA and DC. Fundraising interns have the opportunity to gain experience in all aspects of fundraising, including donor communications, event planning, prospect research, trip planning, and direct mail. Excellent communication skills are necessary.