Get involved in the movement for liberty! Apply for a Cato Institute internship.
Cato interns assist policy staff as researchers; work with the conference department to organize policy conferences, debates, and forums; attend seminars and conferences; and assist Cato’s professional staff by copying and filing newspaper articles, distributing materials to congressional offices, and preparing mailings. In addition to their research and other duties, interns take part in regular seminars on politics, economics, law, and philosophy, as well as a series of lectures and films on libertarian themes. (Summer interns are also encouraged, but not required, to play on the Institute’s softball team.)
Cato internships are for undergraduates, regardless of major, recent graduates, graduate students, or law students who have a strong commitment to individual liberty, private property, free markets, limited government, and the philosophy of classical, or market, liberalism.
Fall Semester: Early September to late December
- Completed application by July 1; you will be notified by August 10.
- International students: Completed application by June 1; you will be notified by July 2.
Spring Semester: Early January to late May
- Completed application by November 1; you will be notified by December 1.
- International students: Completed application by October 1; you will be notified by November 1.
Summer Semester: Early June to late August
- Completed application by March 1; you will be notified by April 15.
- International students: Completed application by February 1; you will be notified by April 1.
Click here to apply.
All potential Cato interns must fill out this application. This includes graduate students, legal interns, TFAS Capital Semester students, Metcalf Fellows, FTE interns, and Koch Fellows.